What is it?
You might have heard people talking about the Bath Spa Award, and so probably asked yourself two obvious questions… what exactly is the Bath Spa Award? And why is it worth undertaking?
Have a minute? Great, then let’s talk you through it.
The Bath Spa Award was created so you can gain official accreditation for the extracurricular strengths and skills you’ve gained alongside your degree. Here at Bath Spa, we know our students are involved with all sorts of volunteering, part-time work and activities, so we wanted to make sure these achievements were recognised. If you’re a second-year, third-year or postgraduate student, you’re eligible!
In a nutshell, the Award:
- Recognises achievements such as positions within clubs and societies, voluntary work, paid jobs outside of uni and your dedication to networking with employers
- Provides a unique opportunity to build on essential skills for your future career
- Gives you a chance to form friendships with like-minded students
What do people say about it?
“The Bath Spa Award definitely motivated me to take those extra opportunities and I’m really proud I’ve got it. A lot of the work and volunteer hours were things I was doing anyway as part-time jobs. It’s a good way to assess the things that I wanted to work on and think, ‘I’ve actually managed to do that!’”
Matilda Karabina, BA (Hons) Creative Writing
“One of the most beneficial things about the Award was choosing the skills you wanted to cover. I wanted to cover leadership, so I was able to get experience and prove that I had worked on my leadership skills.”
Amy Lamborn, BA (Hons) Education Studies with Media Communications
What do I have to do?
There are seven different steps to gaining the award – but don’t be daunted, it sounds more work than it really is. You’ll probably find that you’ve already done more than you think once you get started!
- Get Thinking (recognise two skills you want to improve)
- Get Informed (attend two Careers workshops)
- Get Experience (100 hours of work experience)
- Get Digital (show your experience of digital skills)
- Get Networking (have two face-to-face and one online interaction with employers)
- Get Advice (book a 20-minute guidance appointment)
- Get The Award (attend our assessment centre event)
Each section is aimed specifically to ensure you have all the essential skills you’ll need to be a success in the workplace. Don’t worry: if ever you feel like you’re struggling or don’t quite know how to complete a section, feel free to get in touch with one the Bath Spa Award team via our Ask A Question service or by emailing email@example.com
Great! How do I sign up?
If you head to bathspa.ac.uk/theaward and sign in with your BSSU student details, you’ll be taken straight to My Career’s Bath Spa Award information section. Simply click on the registration form link, fill it out and submit – it’s as simple as that. Within several days you should receive an email from the Bath Spa Award team, confirming your place.
What are you waiting for? Get signed up today!